My research interests fall into the areas of history and philosophy of mathematics and science, epistemology, and cognitive science. In particular, I am interested in the developments in the 19th and early 20th century that led to the emergence of modern mathematics and logic, and in systematic investigations regarding axiomatics, the use of notation, analogical reasoning, concept formation, and theory development. I am also involved in editorial projects of the works of Pasch, Hilbert, Bernays, and Carnap.
- My paper "Metaphors for mathematics from Pasch to Hilbert" has been published in Philosophia Mathematica (October 2016).
- Beginning September 2016 I will spend a year with a Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers at the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy (MCMP), Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich, Germany. (September 2016)
- Awarded 4-year Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Grant for the research project "Towards a philosophy of notation: historical, cognitive, and pragmatic aspects of notations for propositional logic" (September 2016).
- My book review of José Ferreirós' "Mathematical Knowledge and the Interplay of Practices," was published online in Philosophia Mathematica (August 2016).
- My Erdös number has decreased to 3 (July 2016).
- Elected President of the Canadian Society for History and Philosophy of Mathematics (CSHPM) (May 2016).
- Nominated for the McGill Dean of Students Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Academic Advising (April 2016).
- Cooperating partner in the research project on "Dualitšt — ein Archetypus mathematischen Denkens" by Ralf Krömer and Klaus Volkert (Wuppertal) (March 2016).
- My paper "Metaphors for mathematics from Pasch to Hilbert" has appeared in Philosophia Mathematica (online) (January 2016).
- Elected President of the Association for the Philosophy of Mathematical Practice (APMP) (January 2016).
- ... old news.