Department of Computer Science
- I have worked in
the area of parallel simulation since its inception and
have developed synchronization and load balancing algorithms belonging to both of the churches
of parallel simulation-conservative and optimistic. The use of techniques from artificial intelligence for load
balancing has characterized our recent work.
- Two areas for which we developed synchronization and load balancing algorithms were gate level chip simulations
and gravitational n-body simulations.
Gate level parallel simulation contains a summary of the work we did on parallel
Verilog simulation. We developed a parallel environment for gate level simulation which incorporated
the algorithms which we developed.
Gravitational N-Body simulation is used to study a wide reange of astrophysical models ranging from the dynamics of
galaxies and globular clusters containing 10**6 stars to planetary systems with dozens of bodies. We introduced a discrete event
approach to solve the equations of motions for the bodies as a replacement for the more expensive (and traditional) time stepping approach for their solution.
- Over the past several years I have been working on the use of parallel simulation in computational
neuroscience. We collaborated with the NEURON (www.neuron.yale.edu) group at Yale and developed
a parallel discrete-event stochastic simulation tool for reaction-diffusion models of neurons. Stochastic models provide a fine grain view of the chemical
reactions at the basis of a neuron's functioning, compared to traditional continuous models which are simulated by differential equations.
- Parallel Discrete Event Simulation of Reaction-Diffusion Models in Neurons
- General chair of PADS 2009 and PADS 1995
- Program chair of PADS 1997
- Program co-chair of McSWIM 2000
- Program commitees: PADS 1990-present, DIS-RT 2000,2009,WSC 2009,2003, SIMUTOOLS 2010,MASCOTS 97
- Ediorial board(s) of: Transactions of the Society for Computer Simulation(SCS), Parallel and Distributed
- Guest editor of special issue of the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC)
devoted to applications of distributed simulation (March, 2002)
- Research Grant Reviewer: Israel Science Foundation(2005), US National Science
- Guest editor of special issue of Parallel and Distributed Computing Practices (PDCP)
devoted to distributed simulation (to appear by December of 2001)
- Reviewer for IEEE TPDS, IEEE Transactions on Computers, IEEE Transactions on Communications,
JPDC, Distributed Computing, ACM Transactions on Modeling and Simulation
Other important links
- Skiing-This is my home mountain-Whiteface
- Mountain climbing. Coolest experience was hiking the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal.
- Musical theater. Productions include the Drowsy Chaperone,Urinetown,Can-Can,Chicago,and the operetta Pirates of Penzance. I am a bass-baritone.