Joelle Pineau's webpage at McGill
I am an associate professor of Computer Science at McGill University where I co-direct the Reasoning and Learning Lab.
News and points of interest:
- Don't miss the upcoming 2012 International Conference on Maching Learning (ICML)!
I am the program chair (with John Langford) for this event.
- Full set of publications available here.
- A paper on our intelligent wheelchair:
- J. Pineau, R. West, A. Atrash, J. Villemure, F. Routhier. "On the Feasibility of Using a Standardized Test for Evaluating a Speech-Controlled Smart Wheelchair". International Journal of Intelligent Control and Systems. 16(2). pp.121-128. 2011. [.pdf]
- A survey of online POMDP methods:
- S. Ross, J. Pineau, S. Paquet, B. Chaib-draa. "Online Planning Algorihtms for POMDPs". Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (JAIR). Volume 32, pages 663-704. 2008. [.pdf]
- Some of our papers on Bayesian Reinforcement Learning:
S. Ross, J. Pineau, B. Chaib-draa, P. Kreitmann. "A Bayesian Approach for Learning and Planning in Partially Observable Markov Decision Processes". Journal of Machine Learning. 2011. [.pdf]
- S. Ross & J. Pineau. "Model-Based Bayesian Reinforcement Learning in Large Structured Domains". Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI). 2008.[.pdf]
- S. Ross, B. Chaib-draa, & J. Pineau. "Bayesian Reinforcement Learning in Continuous POMDPs with Application to Robot Navigation". ICRA 2008. [.pdf]
- S. Ross, B. Chaib-draa, & J. Pineau. "Bayes-Adaptive POMDPs". NIPS 2007. [.pdf]
- New ideas on extracting semantic information from Wikipedia:
- R. West, D. Precup, J. Pineau. "Automatically Suggesting Topics for Augmenting Text Documents". The 19th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM). 2010. [.pdf]
- R. West, D. Precup, J. Pineau. "Completing Wikipedia's Hyperlink Structure through Dimensionality Reduction". The 18th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM). 2009. [.pdf]
- R. West, J. Pineau and D. Precup. "Wikispeedia: An Online Game for Inferring Semantic Distances between Concepts". International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI). 2009. [.pdf]
- I co-organized the ICAPS'10 POMDP Practitioners Workshop: solving real-world POMDP problems (in collaboration with Matthijs Spaan, Pascal Poupart, Guy Shani and Jason Williams).
- Planning, learning and decision-making
- Learning and representation of probabilistic systems
- Reinforcement learning, MDPs, POMDPs
- Machine learning
- Mobile robotics, human-robot interaction.
- Design of an intelligent robotic wheelchair (Smartwheeler project)
- Large-scale dialogue management
- Adaptive treatment design
- Automated learning of adaptive treatment strategies for chronic
- Computational modelling and adaptive treatment of epilepsy
- Preference elicitation in medical decision-making
Current projects are described in more detail on my Research page.