Prepare Tuesday class meeting (without instructor).
Topic: Discussion of Chapter 4 of TTT.
Goals: Clarify the questions formulated in Problem 4 of this
assignment, discuss and answer all the study/review
questions posed in
Note: Everybody is responsible for the success of the
class. The better you are prepared, the better it is!
Before you start discussing the text, please read the following
rules of the game and try to follow them. If you notice a
fellow student is not acting accordingly, feel free to remind
him or her to the rules presented below.
- Although life can be much easier when there is one leader and the
others follow her or him, the easiest way is not always the
best. Thus, I'd suggest you try to run the class in a
democratic way. To achieve this, here are some suggestions:
- Sit in a circle - this way nobody is singled out just by where he
or she is positioned.
Try to pay attention that everybody talks about roughly the same
amount of time. (Be aware, studies have shown that men are
likely to take up two times the time for talking than women do
- don't let that happen to you!).
- If you feel that somebody
has not talked much so far, encourage him or her, by directly
asking a question to him or her.
- If you feel that you haven't
said much so far, give yourself a kick, and say
- If you feel that you have talked already pretty much, try to speak
less for a while.
- If you feel that somebody else has talked
pretty much already, politely stop him or her, by saying
something like "Let's hear what others have to say about this
- Listen to each other. Do not interrupt while somebody else is speaking.
- Avoid derogatory remarks about other's contributions to the
- When you speak, do not use notions or concepts, that haven't been
introduced in class. For example, do not explain something using
truth tables or conditional implication, if you cannot be
sure that everybody understands you. Rather than going on to explain
new notions, try to express yourself in terms that are familiar to the
If a new notion or concept is introduced in the text, make sure to
continue only after everybody has understood it; don't leave
- In general, try to stay close to the text in the discussions,
don't digress too much, and
keep in mind the goal of discussing all 15 study/review
Questions. (10 points)
- Compile a list of terms and symbols that are mentioned in the text
that you do not understand.
You should try to figure out the meanings in the meeting on
Write up the explanations/answers, and hand them in on